I picked up this recipe in some magazine a few years ago, and I decided to share it with you, as I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as we did.
for the purée:
- 1 kg potatoes
- 50 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 100 g sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- to taste salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 150 g sour cream
- 200 g white cheese (feta or some hard white cheese)
- Bring some water to boiling. Peel potatoes, cook them until fully soft, and mash them finely. Add butter and combine until butter melts.
- Beat the eggs using a hand mixer, until foamy. Add sour cream and mashed potatoes and combine. Spice with some salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine flour and baking powder and stir it into the eggs-potato mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly greased baking pan and bake into a preheated oven at 200°C for about 30 minutes, until it gets a lightly browned crust.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the topping. Melt the butter. Combine sour cream and grated cheese, and then add melted butter.
6. Spread the topping over the browned purée and put it back into the oven. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, until lightly brown. During baking, the purée will absorb almost the whole topping and will look something like this:
Enjoy and bon appétit!