First of all, I should say that I made half the dose of the original recipe, as I usually do when I'm not sure about the final result, but it happened that this pie deserves it more... :) It totally pleased all of those who tried it, especially the beer lovers.
So, the pie you see in the photos below is half the dose, as well as the ingredients listed here. This makes 4 servings:
- 250 g filo pastry
for the filling:
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 2 medium-sized potatoes
- 100 g soy crumbles OR 100-150 g dry ham
- 200 g button mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons oil
- to taste salt and pepper
for the topping:
- 150 ml beer
- 25 ml oil
- yellow cheese
- sesame seeds (optional)
- If you decide to make the vegan version, prepare the soy crumbles. Soak them in hot water if necessary, following the package instructions. Sometimes they are already cooked, so all you need to do is to add them just before the end of preparation process.
If you, however, choose dry ham instead, just dice it. Or, as a third option, you can totally omit this ingredient and use potatoes, mushrooms and onions only.
2. Prepare the filling: heat oil into a deeper pan and add finely chopped onions. Cook stirring occasionally until soft and translucent. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until all the liquid they release vapors. If you are using pickled mushrooms, there is no need to cook them. Just stir them in and continue to next step.
3. Peel and grate the potatoes. Add them to the onion-mushroom mix and combine.
4. Add soy crumbles or ham and combine. Doctor the taste with some salt and pepper.
Take 1 folded filo sheet, sprinkle with one part of the filling, then cover with one folded filo sheet and sprinkle again with one part of the filling... Repeat the procedure as many times as needed until you spend all filo sheets and all of the filling. The last layer should be a folded filo sheet.
6. Cut the pie into 8 pieces (or more or less, as you wish).
7. Combine beer and oil and for the topping and pour it evenly over the pie. Set aside for 10-15 minutes so that the sheets "absorb" the liquid.
8. Sprinkle with some sesame seeds, if desired, and top with some grated yellow cheese.
9. Bake into preheated oven at 180°C until golden brown.
Recently, I made a similar pie, a variation of this one that was equally delicious and more decorative.
I excluded the mushrooms and the meat/soy crumbles from the filling, and added some grated yellow cheese inside (in addition to that sprinkled on the top). Plus, I assembled the pie differently. The topping and the soaking part remained same. And yes, one more thing - I sprinkled some flax seed on top and they gave the pie such a wonderful flavor!
So, you can see how I did it on the photos below...
Enjoy and bon appétit!