This is a great choice for the gourmands: a delicious filo pie with vegan, potato-based filling, topped with beer mix. Due to the filling ingredients, this pie has a strong taste, and the beer gives it some dose of bitterness, so I would classify it as adult only. In my opinion, it's a bit too sharp for kids to eat it, but you can give it a shot...
So, the pie you see in the photos below is half the dose, as well as the ingredients listed here. This makes 4 servings:
- 250 g filo pastry
for the filling:
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 2 medium-sized potatoes
- 100 g soy crumbles OR 100-150 g dry ham
- 200 g button mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons oil
- to taste salt and pepper
for the topping:
- 150 ml beer
- 25 ml oil
- yellow cheese
- sesame seeds (optional)
- If you decide to make the vegan version, prepare the soy crumbles. Soak them in hot water if necessary, following the package instructions. Sometimes they are already cooked, so all you need to do is to add them just before the end of preparation process.
If you, however, choose dry ham instead, just dice it. Or, as a third option, you can totally omit this ingredient and use potatoes, mushrooms and onions only.
2. Prepare the filling: heat oil into a deeper pan and add finely chopped onions. Cook stirring occasionally until soft and translucent. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until all the liquid they release vapors. If you are using pickled mushrooms, there is no need to cook them. Just stir them in and continue to next step.
3. Peel and grate the potatoes. Add them to the onion-mushroom mix and combine.
4. Add soy crumbles or ham and combine. Doctor the taste with some salt and pepper.
Take 1 folded filo sheet, sprinkle with one part of the filling, then cover with one folded filo sheet and sprinkle again with one part of the filling... Repeat the procedure as many times as needed until you spend all filo sheets and all of the filling. The last layer should be a folded filo sheet.
6. Cut the pie into 8 pieces (or more or less, as you wish).
7. Combine beer and oil and for the topping and pour it evenly over the pie. Set aside for 10-15 minutes so that the sheets "absorb" the liquid.
8. Sprinkle with some sesame seeds, if desired, and top with some grated yellow cheese.
Serve warm... with some more beer... :)
Enjoy and bon appétit!