for the cake sheets:
- 4 eggs
- 125 g sugar
- 50 g flour
- 3 tablespoons semolina
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
for the filling:
- 400 ml whipping cream
- 150 ml milk
- 10 g gelatin powder OR 6 gelatin leaves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Separate egg whites from yolks.
- Beat yolks and sugar until sugar melts and the mixture becomes light-colored, almost white.
- In a separate bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold whipped whites into the yolks mixture, a spoonful at a time, lightly stirring with a spoon.
- Combine flour, semolina and cocoa powder and gradually stir it in into the eggs mixture, to get a quite thick, homogenized batter.
5. Lightly grease a big baking pan (approx. 30x20cm), or cover it with parchment paper, and spread the batter evenly. Bake into a preheated oven at 180°C for approx. 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Note that the cake sheet will look a bit dry, but it will be just perfect eventually when combined with the filling.
If you don't have a pan which is that big, you can use some smaller and bake a thick cake sheet, and cut it into half later.
7. Now when the cake sheet has cooled, it's time to cut it into half. It doesn't really matter how will you cut it, just keep in mind that you should get two equal thin sheets.
8. Spread the whole filling onto the first cake sheet and cover with the second. Gently press so that it "sticks" to the filling.
It can be served right away!
If you want to make it like the original serving, cut the cake into bars at your convenience. As I mentioned in the introduction, you can also cover it with icing or cream and get a classic cake.
Enjoy and bon appétit!