It's a fact that desserts, and food in general are more attractive if they have many colors. The first thing you notice when your meal is served are the colors.Then you catch the smell. And eventually, you taste it. There is a great chance that you won't even get to the flavor if you don't like the first two "features".
I personally, somehow skip the visual part and I listen to what my nose says. :) Of course it's important that food looks engaging, but appearances can be deceiving. The aroma can't. :)
This cake meets all my expectations as far as colors are concerned. It doesn't abound with rainbow hues or so, but it's vivid enough. At least for me. Its smell passes the test right away, cause it's so inviting... And with the first bite you realize it's absolutely irresistible!
Enough talking, you say... :) Yes, you're right... Here's what you will need to make this fabulous cake:
for the cake:
- 5 eggs
- 250 g sugar
- 100 ml milk
- 100 ml oil
- 250 g flour
- 10 g baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
for the cream:
- 80 g pudding powder (vanilla or strawberry flavored)
- 800 ml milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
for the topping
- 300 g sour cream
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- First cook the pudding that will represent the lava. You can choose any flavor you like, as long as it has another color than brown. Combine pudding powder and 200 ml cold milk. Add 2 tablespoons sugar to the rest of the milk and bring it to a boil over low fire. Add the pudding-milk mixture and cook stirring often until cream thickens. OR, cook the pudding otherwise, following the instructions on the package. Set aside to cool completely.
2. Separate egg yolks and egg whites.
3. Beat yolks with 250 g sugar, until the mixture thickens and gets a light color. Add milk and oil and mix.
4. Combine flour, baking powder and cocoa powder and add it slowly to the yolks mixture. Mix until homogenized.
6. Pour the batter into a lightly greased and floured pan. I used a 25x25cm square pan. Take a spoonful of the cooled cream and just drop it into the batter. Use the whole cream.
8. While the cake is in the oven, prepare the topping. Combine sour cream and powdered sugar until homogenized. Spread over the baked cake.
Let the cake cool completely before serving. Cut into square pieces at your convenience.
Enjoy and bon appétit!