With its soft sponge coffee flavored cake and creamy coffee filling sandwiched between two crunchy layers, this bars will totally blow your mind! Share them with your friends or keep them all for yourself! :)
for the sponge cake:
for the filling:
- First prepare the sponge cake. Beat eggs and sugar until foamy, using a hand mixer.
- Combine flour, walnuts, coffee and baking powder and add the mixture into the eggs. Use a spoon or a whisk to homogenize the batter.
- Put some parchment paper into a baking pan and then put the first wafer sheet with the big squares pattern up. Make sure the pan is almost the same size as the wafer sheet. Cut down the sheet a bit if necessary, using a sharp knife. Pour the batter over the wafer and spread it evenly. It should look like this...
4. Bake into a preheated oven at 200°C for 10-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let it cool completely. Tailor the sponge cake by cutting off the edges after baking, if necessary, to make it be the exact same size as the wafer sheet.
Note that the original recipe calls for 5 eggs for the sponge cake with the rest of the ingredients increased proportionally. The bars on the photos here are made following that recipe but I found the sponge cake a bit too thick, so I adjusted my recipe to 3 eggs.
6. Spread the filling evenly over the sponge cake and cover with the second wafer sheet. Choose whatever pattern you like.
7. Press it with something heavy (for example, a book) and let it stand for an hour or two so that the layers stick together. Cut into small bars at your convenience.